- are a state or territory government
- have the written support of the state or territory minister responsible for water infrastructure
- have (or will have) the necessary government regulatory and planning approvals you need to start construction
- is major water infrastructure such as a dam, weir, pipeline, managed groundwater (aquifer) recharge or waste water treatment and reuse scheme
- is ready to begin construction
- is consistent with National Water Initiative principles
- will be economically viable over its proposed operational life
- is only for projects that meet our loan objectives
- must be at least $50 million
- will be no more than 49% of the total project cost (total for all Australian Government funding)
Co-funding state and territory governments, to build and improve regional water infrastructure.
- build sustainable water infrastructure
- provide affordable water for productive use
- enhance water security
- support regional economic growth
You cannot use this loan for
- administration costs associated with the project
- buying land
- debt restructuring or refinancing
- maintenance and replacement costs
- marketing or promotional materials
- ongoing operational costs
- other infrastructure (roads, rail, energy)
- pre-feasibility or feasibility activities
- previously completed activities
- private on-farm water projects
- recreational or social use water projects
- standalone hydroelectric or pumped-hydroelectric projects
- safety upgrades
- projects primarily for urban or potable water
- projects funded by another Australian Government source (if that funding total exceeds 49% of the total project cost)
|Amount||$50 million or more||Term||Up to 15 years|
|Repayments||Flexibly structured||Early settlement||Negotiable|
|Interest rate||On request||Apply||Anytime|
Funding structure — no more than 49% Australian Government funding, 51% funding contribution assurance by the applicant.
Repayment structure — flexible. Up to 5 years (construction period) can be interest only, then principal and interest for up to 10 years.
Loan agreement — available on request.
Full terms and conditions are available in the loan guidelines.
Before you apply
Talk to us
Contact us to discuss your project.
- Call us on 1800 875 675
- Email us email@example.com
You need to have
Help and support
After you apply
We will assess your application against eligibility and assessment criteria in the loan guidelines.
Applications will be accepted until we commit all loan funds, or 30 June 2026.
We will contact you in writing to confirm your loan outcome.
Appealing a decision
You cannot appeal a loan decision.
You can contact us and request feedback. You may use this to revise and resubmit your application.
We are here to help.
- Call us on 1800 875 675
- Email us through our online contact form
Read the loan guidelines for full details of eligibility and assessment criteria.
Complete the application form and send it with supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your project must align with National Water Initiative principles.
You must show that you will meet these principles in:
- how you manage the project
- use of water resources for the project
Your project may need to comply with the Murray-Darling Basin Plan.
This includes projects:
- located in the basin
- using water resources from the basin