You can apply for this loan if you solely or mainly sell products into supply chains that are interstate or outside Australia, or plan to in the future.


  • are an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • contribute at least 75% of your labour to the farm business (under normal circumstances)
  • earn at least 50% of your income from the farm business (under normal circumstances)

Your business

  • is in financial need of a loan
  • has the capacity to repay the loan
  • is financially viable in the long term
  • has existing commercial debt
  • is in the agriculture, horticulture, pastoral, apiculture, or aquaculture industry
  • is registered for tax purposes in Australia with an ABN and is registered for GST
  • operates as a sole trader, trust, partnership or private company
  • is not under external administration or bankruptcy

You must

  • provide security for the loan
  • secure the support of your commercial lender for the proposed loan
  • repay the loan


Strengthen your farm business. Take steps to access markets interstate or outside Australia. Prepare for, manage through or recover from drought.

Use this loan to

  • refinance your debt
  • enhance your productivity
  • pay for operating expenses or capital
  • fund drought-related activities

You cannot use this loan for

  • non-farm assets and expenses
  • paying out dividends or equity to owners
  • reimbursement for depreciation of assets
  • tax or other statutory payments
  • your own labour costs
  • anything that you have already received government funding for (except to refinance debt from a previous concessional loan)
  • any other non-eligible use listed in the loan guidelines

Loan terms

Quick facts

AmountUp to $2 million Term10 years
Early settlementNo fee Interest rate​3.58% variable rate
ApplyAnytime Application feeNo fee
Extra repaymentsNo fee RedrawNot available​

More terms

Percentage of total debt — at least 50% of your total debt must stay with a commercial lender.

Frequency of repayments — tailored to the cash flow of the farm business.​

Repayment structure — first 5 years interest only, then principal and interest for remainder of the 10 year term. After 10 years, you can refinance any remaining balance with a commercial lender.

Full terms and conditions are available in the loan guidelines.

Before you apply

You need to check

You need to have

  • Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • financial history
  • identity documents
  • proof of your eligibility
  • your business cash flow budget

Ask us a question

We are here to help


It can take a few hours to gather your documents and complete your application form. You can seek help from an advisor or your local Rural Financial Counselling Service.

Email your completed form and all required documents to loans@service.RIC.gov.au.

Download the application form (PDF 612KB)

Help and support

After you apply

We will assess your application against the criteria in the loan guidelines​.

We may contact you by phone or email to discuss your application, if needed. We will write to you to confirm the outcome of your application.

Reviewing a decision

You can request a review of the loan decision in writing. Check the loan guidelines for details of what to include in your request for review.

Send your request for review by email or post.

Email: RIC@agriculture.gov.au

Loans Review ​Officer
Regional Investment Corporation
c/o Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
GPO Box 858
​Canberra ACT 2601

Contact us

We are here to help.



Read the detail on who can apply for a loan and what happens after you apply.


​Application form

Complete the application form and send it with supporting documents to loans@service.RIC.gov.au.


​Cash flow budget

You must include your business cash flow budget with your application.

We will use this to help assess your financial position, and your ability to repay the loan.

If you do not have your own budget spreadsheet, you ​can use our template.


This template may not meet government accessibility requirements. Contact us for help.

Statutory Declaration

You may need to make a statutory declaration to support your application


Loan Types

You may also be eligible for drought support loans

Compare your loan options: